This program’s mission is to increase the number of journalists in San Joaquin Valley newsrooms who have a deep knowledge, understanding, and interest in the issues affecting individuals of color, particularly those issues impacting the Black community in our region.
The program will encourage high school students who have demonstrated a sustained interest in these issues by focusing on high schools where the student body as a whole has shown an interest and knowledge about issues impacting the Black community and other communities of color.
The program will run 9 months each year. If selected, active members will receive $300 each month as long as they meet the following requirements:
- Maintain academic growth for a college path
- Must pursue a journalism degree at Fresno City or Fresno State
- Attend 80% of The kNOw Youth Media editorial meetings during their fellowship
- Attend 100% of the monthly CV Journalists of Color meetings (if meetings are missed, 1-on-1 meetings can replace them)
- Publish at least 1 article every quarter